Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Post Tracheotomy
First I must make a correction and say that its Dr. Britz not Fritts. Sorry. He came out of surgery and he looks much better. After surgery Mom and I were able to go and visit with him. Dr. Britz encouraged us to talk with dad...so that was...well it was awesome. I told him that the Giants beat Dallas and he opened his eyes. I said that they played really well and that if they beat Green Bay they will go to the Super Bowl and he raised is eyebrows and tried to smile! The swelling in his body continues to go down. Dr. Stern told us today not to worry about the pneumonia that is very normal in patients who are in ICU and are on ventilators. They keep reminding us that the process is extremely slow. They did a spinal tap today to see if protein is building up which could be contributing to the grogginess. They also did a scan and the scan came back normal and showed no signs of a stroke in the back portion of the neck on the base of the spine. Dr. Britz said that if he suffered a stroke or if there were any abnormalities we would have been able to see them in the scan. He is still unable to breath on his own and his body remains unresponsive. But we know its just temporary. I love you all and will be posting pictures tomorrow.