Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Stand Amazed!

Today when we arrived at the hospital Mom and I immediately noticed that the ventilator was turned off and that Dad was breathing on his own strength, with the assistance of oxygen. We had a good visit with him although he seemed to be physically tired from breathing without the ventilator. We told the nurse that he was a little tired and that he might need the ventilator. The nurse said she would watch him and that if he needed the ventilator’s assistance she would be sure to put him back on. When we returned for the afternoon visit Dad was still on the oxygen and again he looked tired, so we asked the nurse about it and she told us that all of his vital signs were completely normal, including the oxygen levels in his blood, and that he would not go back on the ventilator unless it was absolutely necessary, in other words, only if he begins to show physical signs of oxygen deprivation. When we left the afternoon session Mom and I went to see Dr. Stern (the Mexican) to see if what the nurse told us was accurate. He concurred and added that Dad is doing extremely well and that it was time to talk about SENDING HIM HOME! He said that he had been in contact with the branch of the hospital that coordinates with the insurance companies to see if they could coordinate an aerial medical transport. Dr. Stern also told us that he would be going on vacation this Friday for three weeks and that hopefully he would not see us when he returned! We all had a chuckle and he said that we shouldn't worry since Dad will be left in the very capable hands of his very close colleague, who has experience in transporting patients overseas. Dr. Stern has never done this before. He wished us well and saw us out of his office for what will hopefully be the last time! When we returned for the evening visit Mom and I, together with the nurse, explained to Dad why it was important for him to stay off the ventilator and he understood. He seemed encouraged. Then Dr. Britz the neurologist(Tommy Franco), came to the room and told us how great Dad was doing and that the next step was to start sitting him more upright in the bed. (The nurses have already begun to position his bed at about a 60 degree angle) Dr. Britz also said that over the next few days the nurses will start to wean him from the oxygen and then they will remove the tracheotomy! This might happen over the weekend, so let’s keep praying. Isn’t it awesome how God is coordinating everything? The lady yesterday, Dr. Stern handing off to a Dr. who has experience transporting patients overseas, and Dad’s continual improvements… I stand amazed. I also stand a little nervous… as it turns out God has also chosen this time to answer one of my prayers. A few months back I asked God to give me an opportunity to preach outside of Rock of Salvation Church so that I could gain more experience and grow in my gifting. Well, I wasn’t specific in my prayer and now God has me preaching in South Africa to a congregation of 2,500 people. Pastor Neville spoke with me this morning and asked me to prepare myself to minister to his congregation this Sunday morning. Please pray that God uses me to bring a powerful blessing to this house!