Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reflection

Yesterday evening’s visit was a wonderful cap to a difficult day (to watch Rod say goodbye and for us to say goodbye to him wasn’t easy). Dad was wide awake for this visit and he was very talkative. Although Rod was pretty good at reading Dad’s lips, I am having a difficult time understanding him. To make it easier, I bought a small “white-board” and a dry erase marker so that he can spell the words that Mom and I can’t make out. It worked like a charm. A few times during our visit he pointed to the whiteboard with his lips (we Puerto Rican’s do that quite often) so that he could spell-out certain words.

When we arrived at the hospital this morning the nurses (or sisters as they are called here in South Africa) had Dad positioned on his left side, a position that he does not like very much. As soon as we walked in the room he started to tell us that he wanted to be moved on his back but when we asked the sister to move him she explained to us that he had been on his back for too long and that he needs to give the skin on his back some air. Dad wasn’t happy with that and he insisted and insisted that we move him. Since he was uncomfortable and a little desperate, the whiteboard didn’t work so well… he was giving us directions a mile a minute and the only words Mom and I could understand were “me caso en na-!” which he would say each time we couldn’t make out the words he was pronouncing. It was rather frustrating but also kind of funny. In the end Dad’s persistence and stubbornness got him what he wanted… just before we left, the sisters turned him on his back and we left him looking content and satisfied that he got his way! As they were re-positioning him, I got a good look at his back, which looks clean and as smooth as a baby’s skin. These sisters are doing an amazing job at preventing bedsores. He is receiving tremendous medical attention in this hospital.

Throughout our visits today I also noticed that Dad was looking up at the ceiling quite often, but I couldn’t figure out why, then at one point during the day he motioned to the ceiling with his lips. I looked up and saw the dark T.V. screen so I asked him if he wanted to watch T.V. He shook his head no, but then proceeded to motion with his lips to the screen. I looked again and I could see the reflection of him lying on the bed. So I said “Oh, you can see yourself!” and he smiled and shook his head yes. Up until now he hadn’t seen himself and he looked pleased with what he saw. He really does look like himself, although, he desperately needs a haircut! I told him so and he laughed in agreement. My Dad is strong willed and I know that he will pull through this. What an amazing person!